Re: USB-printer sharing

Hiisi writes:

Dear Fedora folks!
I'm trying to setup home server using F11 desktop. The computer has 3 Ethernet devices (1 integrated on motherboard and 2 additional in PCI-slots). It's connected to the Internet via eth0 and shares network for Windows laptop on eth1 using NAT. This part works grate. Currently I'm trying to share HP DeskJet-3650 USB printer, connected to the main desktop. I installed and started samba and tuned printer through CUPS-gui at http://localhost:631.

Samba is not required to print from Windows XP client via CUPS.

Then I installed network printer from laptop's WinXP-gui as http://<F11desktopIP>:631/printers/deskjet-3600

How did you obtain this URL.

The best way to obtain the URL is to simply open http://server:631/printers

The main page contains a link for all installed printers. Open the link for your printer, and the resulting URL is the URL that Windows XP should be configured to use.

There wasn't exactly my printer model, so I choose HP DeskJet driver

This is very unlikely. HP not shipping a Windows driver for your printer is just as likely as me winning the lottery. You most certainly have the drivers for your HP printer on a CD. After you've specified the URL when setting up the CUPS printer in Windows XP, you'll be asked to select a driver. Select the appropriate driver from the CD. The last component of the CUPS URL has absolutely nothing to do with the driver name.