Re: restarting mobile broadband

David L wrote:
On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 4:07 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
David L wrote:
Hi,

I asked this question on the network manager
mailing list but didn't get answer, so I thought
I'd try here.

I'm a newbie to NetworkManager and have a few
questions.  I have a verizon wireless pcmcia
card.  It is working with NetworkManager, but the
connection drops from time to time and doesn't
restart.  I have the "connect automatically"
configuration option set, and that seems to work
on startup.  But is doesn't reconnect automatically
when the connection dies.  So, here are my
questions:

1) Is there an option that I'm missing to tell it
to reconnect automatically?
On the rare occasions when I have had drops, it seems to reconnect by itself
but not instantly. There seems to be a delay before reconnect is attempted.

Hi Bill,

Somebody eventually responded to my original
post on the networkmanager list and said this

"Yeah, reconnect of a failed connection (as opposed to a
user-disconnected one) is definitely on the list.  I was planning on
doing some of the work for that in the 'inhibit' branch in git, so you
can track that there.  It won't be mobile-broadband-specific at first,
but the changes there will help out the mobile broadband stuff too."

Somebody asked a similar question about VPN
and the response was basically the same.

Nobody answered the other questions
(except you).

2) Is there a command-line method to start
the connection so I can roll my own
reconnection script?
3) Is there a way to reconnect a VPN
connection when the mobile broadband
connection is restarted?
Not that I ever found.

4) Is there a way to keep track of total bytes
transferred through a mobile broadband
connection over multiple sessions?  I'd
like to keep track of how close I'm getting
to the Verizon 5GB monthly limit.

Maybe, there is a statistics directory for the device in /sys, with a name
like
 /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.0/net/eth0/statistics/
and a file called rx_bytes which may or may not run boot to boot rather than
resetting with the connect. Do let me know if that's what you need, and good
luck with the VPN. I find that if there are multiple access points NM
doesn't even reliably remember which one I was using, so reconnect is
reliable as long as the number of available APs is no more than one. That
may only happen after suspend, rather than drop...

I do know about /proc/net/dev that has per session statistics,
but I was wondering if networkmanager had a way to accumulate
over multiple sessions.  I think the answer is no.

As I noted, there is a per-device count in /sys which appears to run boot to boot. I say that cautiously, I did try moving my connection from my own AP to a local open AP running *way* more than legal power, and then back, and the count didn't reset to zero in /sys.

Cheers...

                    David

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>