Lost Desktop Icons in F11

Title: Fate of the Peacock
When upgrading from Fedora 10 to Fedora 11 failed, I did a clean install of Fedora 11 and restored my personal home directory including the subdirectory .gconf from Fedora 10.  I use Gnome for my desktop environment.

Everytime I reboot/login, all my desktop icons are missing.  To get them back for that session, I run gtweakui-nautilus.  Deselecting the "Use nautilus to draw desktop" and then selecting it restores my desktop icons.

Deleting (by renaming) my ~/.gconf subdirectory and rebooting results in no changes, the desktop icons are still missing.

Is there some setting that changed between Fedora 10 and 11 that I am not setting correctly to get my desktop to display my icons?

How do I get my desktop to display the icons without manual intervention?

--
    Steven F. LeBrun

Quote: "One day a peacock. The next day a feather duster."
    —  Democrat Patrick Quinn, Illinois lieutenant governor