Re: will we ever have radeon drivers that aren't crap?

John Mellor wrote:
On Thu, 2009-07-23 at 20:15 +0200, Julian Aloofi wrote:
Am Donnerstag, den 23.07.2009, 13:56 -0400 schrieb Robert P. J. Day:
apologies for the unduly harsh tone but, seriously, will there ever
be radeon drivers available for fedora that aren't complete junk?
this has been going on for some time now, and nothing's changed.

  currently, on my 1280x800 display gateway laptop, i need to run the
vesa driver and get only 1024x768 because, if i try to run the radeon
driver, i'll get my full resolution, and my session will last maybe
10-15 minutes before finally locking up, at which point the only
response i can get is moving the mouse around the screen verrrrrry
slowly but nothing else, requiring a power cycle.  (the vesa driver
will, of course, work perfectly for days on end.)

  it's been like this since early in the f11 test cycle, and it
depresses me to think i'll still be fighting with this when the first
cut of f12 comes out.

  what's the story on video drivers these days?  and why are they such
unmitigated trash?

</rant>

rday
We had a radeon test day in the Fedora 11 test cycle:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:Radeon_2009-04-01
If you had this error in the test cycle, that would've been the right
day to report it. My card works fine, by the way. If you want to get it
fixed, some information, at least your card model would be nice.
Regards,
Julian

Ok, here is one that makes F11 a serious reversion and a total writeoff
as a desktop at this point:
ATI HD3650 512MB AGP
- no 3d support at all, F10 had pretty good 3D

Just ordered a card with that characteristic.

- shuts down every so often

Haven't seen that on any of my six system here, all using Radeons of various type. Your use may differ.

- slow 2D driver, far better prior to F11 using the RPM Fusion non-free
driver

I'm told that's an issue with kernel revision, not F11 directly. ATI hasn't ported the driver as of the last time I looked.

I'm not using F11 anymore, as it is far worse that F10.  In F10 I can
play FPS games beautifully and power management actually works, unlike
F11.

I don't play any games which use the power management, for useful applications I don't know what you see, speed varies, screen brightness changes, etc, on my systems.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>