Re: Firefox display of LinkedIn slow on Fedora 10

Michael Eager wrote:
Hi --

When I try to open a page on LinkedIn in Firefox or
Konqueror, it takes forever to display.  Often, the
session times out before the page is shown.  I have
not noticed any other sites which have similar problems.

A Google search shows that a number of people have encountered
similar problems.  There were conjectures that the problem
has to do with routers or network settings.  There are a few
suggestions to reduce the TCP MTU size, and some people
claimed this fixed their problem.  When I followed these
suggestions, it doesn't improve display of LinkedIn pages,
but it did screw up display of other sites.

On a Windows XP system running under VMware on the same
hardware, Firefox displays LinkedIn pages with no delay.

Since the network connection and router is the same,
it's not a problem with the physical hardware.  Since
the same problem appears on both Firefox and Konqueror,
it's not a problem with the browser display engine.

Anyone have a suggestion how to eliminate this annoyance?

MTU sounds good, the usual "real cause" is some router not passing or honoring the "can't fragment" ICMP. If you are running from a VM, behind a tunnel, etc, etc, this might be your problem, and since there's a simple solution it's worth a try.

Look at the "mss M" section of the "man route" output, and it explains this better. Using the route command you can set a route to the problem site, via your default router, and only for that route use a smaller MTU. So "mss 1400" would be part of the command line.

I learned that so long ago I can't remember details, but the capability is there. Let us know if it helps.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>