Re: update viewer: terrible user interface (imo)

2009/7/20 Mike Wright <mike.wright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> When I use the Update Viewer I am presented with several categories needing
> updating.  There is an option to review all or update all.

Are you using KDE or GNOME?

> There is no option, for example, to update only security fixes.

I'll assume you're using GNOME PackageKit. If you need to do this,
right click on the update list and select "Security updates".

> I click on the icon that indicates updates are available and select "Show
> Updates".  Gee, there are only 300.  So I select "Review" and am now
> presented with 300 packages, each with a separate checkbox PREVIOUSLY
> SELECTED.  There is not even an option for "select all" or "deselect all".
>  You get them all, period.

Right click, "Select all" or "Deselect all"

> So, because of this incredibly retarded interface (from a usability point of
> view) we just have to bite the bullet and update all.

Urm, no.

> So here's a question to the developers of the Updater.  Have any one of you
> ever gone through the update list and individually unchecked each of them?
>  I recommend it highly, *especially* when there are several hundred of them
> pending.  You may actually get a feeling for what you have inflicted on the
> rest of us.

Yes.

> Probably not worth $0.02 but I felt compelled to share my user experience
> and my thoughts about it.

Sounds a bit like ranting to me. You could have filed a bug, read the
documentation or searched google before posting.

Richard.