Re: Partitioning FC11 ??

On Monday 20 July 2009, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
>Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> I can't answer that, Albert, but I am damned tired of it. I got sda1 for a
>> boot partition on the third try, but there is a 300 meg hole between it
>> and sda2 cuz it simply will not allow more than 199 megs for the boot
>> partition. That problem is about to end with the end of F10.
>
>Why not just go with the flow and tell anacondia to "use the whole disk"
>and be done with it?  It will redo the partition table, install a new
>low-level boot loader in the mbr and make a new and shiny fs and/or lvm
>and fs on each fdisk partition.  That is going to be the best tested
>code path and unless you really want to help debug anacondia, why ask
>for all that aggravation?

Because I have lost entire installs when running lvm 3 damned times.  Twice on
this box, and once on ubuntu LTS.  Thank $Deity I was running amanda, so all I
lost was the install here, and the gcode I'd written to run my milling machine
when the ubuntu had a cow.  Between that, and the volatile disk assignments, I
don't even build the device mapper into my kernels.  Yeah, it bitches me out
with its boot messages, but it then Just Works(TM).

You (speaking generally) all thought it was hilarious when they decide to
remap all the drives with the next iteration of the kernel and everyone using
tar for backups needs to run 5-7 sessions the next day to restore order & get
a fresh level 0 on everything.  Why?  Simple really, its very difficult to
convince it to restore to what it _thinks_ is a different device.  But tar
doesn't think its the least bit funny and it took 5 full releases (1.16-1.20)
& a lot of crying on the tar list to even get a switch in it that ignores your
tom-foolery with that device mapper and its random number generator.  It was
bad enough when udev changed the device majors a couple of years back.

Yeah, I know, this IS fedora, and we are supposed to bleed for the community
good.  If I'm going to bleed, I want it to be something stupid _I_ did.  And I
usually manage to do that at some point, as you well know by now.

This ain't winderz, quit trying to make it so.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

If I were a grave-digger or even a hangman, there are some people I could
work for with a great deal of enjoyment.
		-- Douglas Jerrold