Re: missing audio after F11 install on IBM T61 Thinkpad

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 10:32:51 -0700 (PDT)
itsme_410@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I have run the shell script and here is the output:
>
> http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=514e34407ba9bad84fe86effa0942e0565747136
>
> I am delighted with help!

Everything looks good, but I vaguely recall a message from Takashi Iwai
(one of the main alsa developers) a long time ago that having both
analog and digital (IEC958) enabled at the same time could cause
problems.  Because the aplay command worked via the analog output
(0:0), I am going to assume you want analog output.

By the way, the fact that aplay works means that alsa has identified
your hardware well enough to get a working driver loaded (with
hda-intel that doesn't necessarily mean the *best* driver), and so the
fact you don't have sound is a configuration issue, not a driver issue
at this point.  Once you have sound, if some aspect doesn't work
correctly, it is time to revisit if the driver is the optimal driver
for your hardware.

You have IEC958 (digital output, 0:1) turned on and turned up.

Simple mixer control 'IEC958',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 39
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 29 [74%] [-15.00dB] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 39 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Default PCM',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [on]

control.26 {
		comment.access 'read write'
		comment.type BOOLEAN
		comment.count 1
		iface MIXER
		name 'IEC958 Playback Switch'
		value true
	}

control.27 {
		comment.access 'read write'
		comment.type BOOLEAN
		comment.count 1
		iface MIXER
		name 'IEC958 Default PCM Playback Switch'
		value true
	}

See if you can use the   alsamixer -c0   command interface to turn
these off.  If you can't, you might have to use the command amixer to
do so.  It is low level, but gives you access to everything.  See
man amixer  for how to use it.

Pulse looks like it is setup correctly, and once you take care of the
digital output, you should get sound.