Re: good external hard drives (e.g. WD Elements)?

On 07/17/2009 09:25 AM, David Moran wrote:
On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 6:58 AM, Tim<ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Does anybody know if the "WD Elements" hard drives in enclosures with
USB ports work with Fedora pain free?  I've heard tales of some drive
enclosures that go asleep on you, but can't recall if it were this range
of models, and there's some of these on sale locally for a reasonable
price.

I had some unidentifiable brand of hard drive enclosure with a Seagate
drive in it that died on me some time ago (the drive gets multiplying
read errors).  And I want to find a decent replacement, without a silly
price, or a crappy fan that's going to make annoying noises or seize up.

You try to be diligent, doing your backups to an external drive, then
the backup drive is the thing to go west!  :-\  Thank goodness I have
the original files to back up the backup...  And, yes, the drive got
treated with kid gloves, and I don't expect hard drives to be treated
any other way.

Now I'm wondering what can be trusted as a medium for removable backups.
I much prefer the notion of something like a drive that carries
uncompressed copies of files, for direct access to a backup.  Rather
than serial access tapes, or terribly slow multi-DVD collections.

I've been using a WD Elements 1TB drive on my F10 32bit and F11 64bit
for some time now. Works without a hitch on either one. Just plug and
play.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored.  I
read messages from the public lists.

One more data point. When I try to format the drive ext3 as you suggest, I keep getting
this error message:

Error creating filesystem

org.freedesktop.DeviceKit.Disks.Error.Failed: Error creating file system: helper exited with exit code 1: cannot mount /dev/sdc5 at /var/run/DeviceKit-disks/job-mkfs-IrRLV9: Invalid argument

Any suggestions?

cheers, Paul - VA7NT - email: va7nt@xxxxxxxxx

"Those who hear not the music, think the dancers mad."

“Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil.” - Thomas Mann

"That state which separates it's warriors from it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and fighting done by fools" - Thucydides - The Pelopenisia

"The Malice of the wicked is reinforced by the weakness of the virtuous." - Churchill