Re: f11 upgrade question

On Friday 17 Jul 2009 03:55:34 w bugar wrote:
> Hello list,
> I was trying to upgrade from f10 to f11 (from DVD) but am getting a
> "insufficient disk space" message after the "preparing transaction" step
> gets to 90%. I have a 10G disk with df showing 1.9G avail. Any way to get
> the upgrade to finish?
> Is 10G now too small?
> I think the disk just has f10 and stuff to get mplayer working.
> I know that fresh install is the recommended path but getting all the
> mplayer deps installed is just too painfull to go thru again, if I can help
> it. Thx,
> Bill

 AIUI  you need twice the amount of HDD space as the system will take up, to
do an upgrade.  It has to cache the new stuff while the old stuff is still
present.  Of course that's a simplification, but good enough to explain your
problem, I think.

The only way you are going to get this onto your 10GB drive, IMO, is to back
up your /home (and preferably /etc) directory so that you can copy back
required configuration files, then do a clean install.

Anne