Re: good external hard drives (e.g. WD Elements)?

On Fri, 2009-07-17 at 01:08 -0700, Mick M. wrote:

> --- On Fri, 7/17/09, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > From: Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> > > Just get a good HD, same as you'd want as an internal
> > drive, and a
> > > simple enclosure.
> >
> > It does appear to be one of those, I guess I'm hoping to
> > see someone say
> > they've used one and it has or hasn't presented any
> > problems.
> >

> I use some Dynex external USB boxes.
> "DYNEX DX-HDEN10 USB EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE ENCLOSURE 3.5"
>
> They are cheap to buy, well made and reliable, lots of them on eBay.
> They are metal, and have an on/off switch.
> I always have one plugged in but turned off.
>
> I have used drives from 20G to 300G in them  - never had a problem.
> Just set the drive to master.
>
> Mick M

I have been using IcyBox products for several years
Just empty boxes with ext PS
USB/PATA_drive
USB/SATA/SATA_drive

SATA/SATA_drive
eSATA/SATA_drive

Then there is the choice between "screw in" and "slide in" versions!!

http://www.raidsonic.de/
One source in the UK
http://www.scan.co.uk/Search.aspx?q=icybox

OT
My favourite is the internal trayless version
IcyBox Trayless IB-168SK-B SATA to SATA HDD,

John