Re: good external hard drives (e.g. WD Elements)?

On Thu, 2009-07-16 at 10:23 -0400, Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak wrote:
> I found USB drives to be hugely unreliable. I ended up removing the
> disks from their enclosures and using them inside the main computer
> chassis, like a normal drive.
>
> I think something is buggy with the USB drive implementation,

I'm beginning to wonder if that's be the case, whether it's a general
problem, or just certain products are crap.

> You might have better luck with eSATA drives, rather than USB.
>
> For my backups, I prefer to use something like rsnapshot
> (http://rsnapshot.org/) to copy files to a remote live computer. This
> works very well and very reliably, for me.

In my main case, this is a laptop, so putting a drive inside isn't
possible, and it has no esata.  I'd been backing up to a server, and the
ill-fated external drive.

I like the idea of a removable drive, so a backup can be made and easily
unplugged, as security against system/electrical screwups, and stored
separately.  But it seems less than reliable.

I've tried those trays you slot in and out of a 5 inch bay, and was less
than impressed (overheats, plastic, crappy fan, etc.), and it's only
useable where you have a tray to plug into.  The external drive in a box
*seemed* a good alternative idea.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686