Re: Ranter or evangelist?

On Thu, 2009-07-16 at 22:26 -0400, gilpel@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Why is it that, when I insert an audio disk, I see it as an audio disk on
> my desktop, but when I click it, GNOME shows the .wav files that are
> present. No application is suggested, even under "Open", to play the
> damned music. If I go to Application, sound and video, the first option,
> "Audio Player", opens XMMS.
>
> Great! I click the forward button... I'm presented with a list of the...
> no, no, no! not the files on the CD, but the files in my home directory!!!
> Wow, we're really moving forward! I painfully navigate to /media, there's
> nothing in /media.
>
> Let's check mtab, my DVD/CD is on sr0, I believe. Nope, nothing there.
>
> Well, if the intend was to scare away Mac and Windows users, I would think
> that the success rate is 100%. I've been using Linux for 8 years and even
> "I" am scared! I do understand Fedora is for geeks, but would it make
> their life that difficult if things kinda worked? Didn't anybody notice
> that the present set-up makes absolutely no sense?
>
> At least, normally, you should go to => System, Preference, File
> Management, Media to select a default CD and DVD player. Still impossible!
> No option to change anything. I wrote about this. Nobody replied.
>
> Who's responsible for setting things this way? Is anyboby responsible
> somewhere or is it "We do all this together in a haphazard way" ? If so,
> never expect any significant market share for Linux. Radio-Canada will
> continue to use Windows Media because "Linux is too hard for ordinary
> people" (MSFT trademark).
>
> You think I'm a ranter? I've been told this quite often. But, while some
> people write code, I write to the Quebec Press Council.
>
> I explain that a certain so-called journalist is just a Microsoft
> sycophant. Every time he used Windows Vista, of course, there were a
> few... almost bugs. but certainly no show stopper.
>
> With Linux, the question is more complex. When a new version of Firefox
> comes out, for instance, instead of waiting for the upgrade, he gets the
> executable at Mozilla and, then, everything gets really complicated.
>
> Of course, the Press Concil understands perfectly what's going on. I made
> sure my basic complaint was very easy to understand: I explained the
> journalist NEVER discussed the appropriateness for the State --
> television, amongst others -- of using proprietary format and never
> discussed tied sales. That's it, that's all.
>
> Still, after counceiding that the Press organisation lawyers had well
> understood my POV, the Council judged that the journalist gives a lot of
> coverage to Linux --  they didn't elabore on the kind of coverage: they
> can't evaluate, of course -- and, you know, given that Linux hardly has 1%
> of the market share, they found the coverage was adequate.
>
> So, I filed an appeal... and sent a copy to the Professional Federation of
> Journalists... I got my appeal.
>
> But the fight is far from over. The Press Council is heavily subsidized by
> [...]
----
this may be the first and last time that I ever respond to your posts
but...

All operating systems that I am aware of do not actually 'mount' an
audio CD. This means Macintosh, Windows and yes, Linux.

http://www.computing.net/answers/linux/how-to-mount-an-audio-cd/9260.html

They provide players to play the audio files on the CD's but an audio CD
format is not a filesystem for a computer and it never has been.

So you have offered a long winded message to the list that primarily
informs us that you are not only unafraid to demonstrate your ignorance
but believe that you can somehow evangelize things that you don't
understand.

Craig

believed to be clean.