Re: How do a fix a non working kernel installation ?

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 10:33 AM, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

You don't want a live CD but to run the f11 DVD in rescue mode. Then you
can chroot to the F11 / directory and apply any fixes. That way the
programs you run will be F11 programs.

If you read the thread, I did chroot.  Chroot runs whatever programs the new root holds, thus I was running f11 applications with the f9 kernel.  It worked.

I was leery of this myself, so I did some version checking and used the which command and verified that everything was running from my f11 installation.  That is the beauty of chroot.

The real beauty of using a live version is that you can multiple sessions running (normal and chroot) via multiple kterms as well as access the Internet, have full graphical interface, etc.  This the first rescue I have done in a long, long time and the first time that I have used a live CD to do it.

Linux is one heck of an OS.  I remember trying to do stuff like this in Windows, ie mount a non running hard drive and access it from a running one... it was generally version disaster after version disaster.

Now if I could just figure out why my f11 install won't boot.  Time to google.