RE: F11 upgrade - worse than Windows

> Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 11:17:50 -0700
> From: developer@xxxxxxxxx
> To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: F11 upgrade - worse than Windows
>
> TM = Timothy Murphy wrote:
> TM>> I'm trying to upgrade a Thinkpad T23 (with preupgrade) from F10.
> TM>> Everything went fine until "Finishing upgrade process",
> TM>> which has been running now for 14 hours,
> TM>> with that ghastly imitation-Windows yo-yo swinging from side to side.
> TM>>
> TM>> I am told, "This may take a little while" !!!
> TM>>
> TM>> Please, this is Linux.
> TM>> Tell us what is happening,
> TM>> and show us what progress is being made.
>
> SA = Simon Andrews wrote:
> SA> I saw this too (but not for that long). Going into a
> SA> shell I saw that anaconda was only taking ~2%CPU...
>
> How did you get a shell when you were in the "Please wait while setup is
> finished. This may take a while" state?
>
> I'm stuck in this state with a desktop machine. I'm updating F10 -> F11
> with the network install CD and can't tell why it is stuck. I started
> the install 19 hours ago.
>
> Any help would be appreciated,
> Pete
>
> --

Usually, during the install / upgrade process, you can Ctrl-Alt one of  the  F keys
which has a running shell in it already.  However, i am not sure the shell
would help.

What I suggest is that you get the full F11 DVD iso and do the upgrade from that.
Doing an upgrade can be problematic because it is possible that some or many
rpms you currently have on F10 (which you might have installed from repositories
other than Redhat/Fedora), will fail the upgrade.

May I ask why you want to do an "upgrade" vs "install"??

Cheers,

MM