Re: How do a fix a non working kernel installation ?

linux guy wrote:
No joy.  All I got was the same blinking cursor.  I'm running from the
F9 Live CD.

BTW: chroot above was actually /usr/sbin/chroot.   And the yum problem
with the repos wasn't the repos at all.  The chroot session doesn't
have access to the network.  ping www.google.com returns "unknown
host" in the chroot session, whereas its found from a non chroot
session.

yum -C list kernel shows only the two F11 kernels.  The F12 kernel is gone.

However, if I look at grub. conf in /media/-/boot, the entry for the
F12 kernel is still there !  Furthermore so are the F12 kernel files.
 So I am guessing that rpm didn't remove any of the actual files, even
though it seems to have removed all of the database entries.  GREAT !
I've got a mess on my hands.

This makes sense, because if I do a cd /boot from the chroot session,
it shows a blank directory.   However, if I cd to /media/-/boot, its
definitely not empty.

I think I need to link the /boot directory to /media/-/boot and then
to an rpm -i against the F12 kernel rpm to reinstall the entries into
the database and then do a rpm -e to actually remove the files.

Does that make sense ?  Is there an easier way ?

Thanks

HOWEVER....