Re: where's my memory?

Am 14.07.2009 16:39, schrieb Alan Cox:
On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 07:43:06 -0400
Neal Becker<ndbecker2@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

I have a argument with another user about memory.  He claims that on running
linux on his 4G Dell machine, top only reports 3.something memory, he says
the missing space is for pci bus.  I think this is only because he's running
32 bit and that 64 bit would give all the memory.

Plenty of chipsets don't support mapping the RAM covered by the PCI
window up to the end of memory, especially older ones.

Just a remark: On my fedora 11 system (phenom II, 4GB RAM,
32 bit, PAE) top reports 3.9GB RAM. On my opinion, this is
thanks to PAE.

Joerg