Re: VMware Workstation in F11

On Mon, 2009-07-13 at 12:52 +0200, Chris Rouch wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 3:29 PM, Matthew Saltzman<mjs@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I performed a fresh install of F11, then installed
> > VMware-Workstation-6.5.2-156735.x86_64.rpm. Installed the patch for
> > kernel-2.6.29 from http://communities.vmware.com/thread/203231. Now,
> > when I try to start a VM, I get a message that the .vmdk file can't be
> > found. The message pop-up lets me browse to the location of the file.
> >
> >     File not found: xxx.vmdk
> >
> >    This file is required to power on the virtual machine. If this
> >    file was moved, please provide its new location.
> >
> > But the file has not been moved, and when I select the file from the
> > browser, VMware still refuses to start.
> >
> > Turning selinux to non-enforcing doesn't help. Problem occurs with
> > Workstation and Player. Everything worked fine with F10, including with
> > a 2.6.29 test kernel.
> >
> > Anybody seen this? Anybody know a solution?
> >

> Try disabling selinux completely. On my F10 box with vmware server,
> permissive mode wasn't enough.

I got it, actually (noted elsewhere in the thread).  It was permissions,
but not selinux.  For a raw-disk machine, user needs to be in group
disk.  Apparently, with F11, they finally made /dev/sda* group writable
again, so sysadmin doesn't need to do it.

VMs still hang on shutdown, but that seems to be a different, known
issue with no current workaround.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences