Re: How do I switch mirror for rpmfusion?

On Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 1:04 PM, stan<gryt2@xxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 12:03:47 -0700
> Konstantin Svist <fry.kun@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> I'd prefer a system based on existing proven technology, e.g.
>> bittorrent. It already does all this and more -- and works great for
>> high loads, e.g. when a new version comes out.
>> It doesn't matter where the packages are downloaded from, as long as
>> they're signed (which is already the case). Some users may take issue
>> with using their upload bandwidth or downloading from other users --
>> so upload-while-downloading and download-from-peers should probably be
>> disabled by default, but it can be an option for the more adventurous.
>> The biggest difference from BT is that the list of files to be
>> downloaded is different for each user, and also that new files are
>> being added all the time.
>>

> Seems like this idea has potential.
>
> What are the problems?  Besides ISPs purposely slowing torrent traffic.
> Security?  Complexity for users?  Confusion when new files become
> available while old ones are downloading (as you mention)?

Torrent speed depends upon the combined donated bandwidth of
participants.  Works great when you have a large pool of peers and
seeders. Too few participants and you might be downloading at 3K-4K
bit/sec or waiting forever to get the last piece of a file.  Speed
also drops off dramatically after the initial availability/offering of
a file.