Re: Firefox and other apps slow with name resolution

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 6:35 PM, Tim Largy <tim.largy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On a freshly installed F11 machine I noticed that Firefox was taking a
long time to do name resolution. Using Wireshark, I saw the resolver
querying DNS twice even though it appeared to get an answer the first
time. It was waiting 5 seconds before issuing the second query, which
was the source of my delay in Firefox. I found a few old fedora-list
threads (some from years ago) mentioning that IPv6 was causing this
problem, so I disabled IPv6 name resolution in Firefox by setting
network.dns.disableIPv6 to true in about:config. It solved my problem,
but of course only for Firefox and not other programs. To fix it for
everything I reverted the change in Firefox and disabled IPv6 by
creating a file /etc/modprobe.d/disable_ipv6.conf (because I didn't
know if it was a good idea to edit the other /etc/modprobe.d/*.conf
files) containing this line

   install ipv6 /bin/true

and rebooted. It worked. I'm happy about that, but I'm confused.
Despite my supposed disabling of ipv6, ipv6.ko still shows up in
modprobe -l. What exactly did the line above do in that case?

Tim

meh, bump-   I'm unfortunatley experiencing the same thing after doing a 'yum update' (having never done so before) after upgrading from F10->F11.  My network/telnet/firefox etc.  didn't exhibit the delay at all on F11 prior to the yum update

however, after googling for threads about the same problem, i've found that disabling-ipv6 dosen't seem to resolve the issue for me,  any one have any ideas?

uname -r   ==>  2.6.29.5-191.fc11.x86_64