Re: Fedora 11: Switching to single user mode (runlevel 1)

Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 17:10:57 +0000,
>   g <geleem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> if you want runlevel 1, you need to boot to runlevel 1 from start.
>
> You can use the telinit command to switch run levels. Doing this from
> an X session is going to drop your session, so you want to be OK with
> that before doing it.

op stated;

>> My problem is that if I run "/sbin/telinit 1" from a terminal while in
>> runlevel 5, the normal messages appear and everything LOOKS fine, but then
>> I am dumped to a plain black screen with no apparent way of escape.  I
>> actually have to reboot to get out of it...

to me, 'plain black screen' indicates nothing, nada, no command prompt. if
op had stated that he had a command line, i would have told him to issue
'init 5' to return to 'x'.

as i stated, i boot level 3, i do not boot level 5, therefore i have never
had need to change from level 5 down to level 1, so i am not aware of it
being accessible that way. all tho i would think that it would be.

when i have need to use level 1 while i am under 'x', i do so by closing
'x', log out and back in as root and then issue 'init 1'.

--

peace out.

tc,hago.

.