Re: Logging on AT&T Yahoo Dial-Up with Linux

On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 21:29:22 -0500
Roy Quick <roy.quick@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> July 9, 2009
>
> Anybody, please advise me how to log on AT&T Yahoo dial-up after
> installing Fedora.  Frustrated.  I have not be able to make connect
> after installing any Linux OS.  AT&T Yahoo techs, of course, respond
> that they do not support Linux.  If impossible to log on with AT&T
> Yahoo dial-up, please suggest another Internet Provider.  Tried a
> local Internet Provider recently.  Found it preventing updates.
> Dropped it. Roy Quick <roy.quick@xxxxxxx>

It has been a long time since I logged into dialup, but I used a
program called minicom at that time and it is still in Fedora.

yum install minicom\*

minicom                         2.3       A text-based modem control
and terminal emulation program Minicom is a simple text-based modem
control and terminal emulation program somewhat similar to MSDOS Telix.
Minicom includes a dialing directory, full ANSI and VT100 emulation, an
(external) scripting language, and other features.

wvdial sounds even easier.

wvdial                          1.60      A heuristic autodialer for
PPP connections WvDial automatically locates and configures modems and
can log into almost any ISP's server without special configuration. You
need to input the username, password, and phone number, and then WvDial
will negotiate the PPP connection using any mechanism needed.

Some other possibile packages to use are

mgetty                          1.1.36    A getty replacement for use
with data and fax modems
The mgetty package contains a "smart" getty which allows logins over a
serial line (i.e., through a modem). If you're using a Class 2 or 2.0
modem, mgetty can receive faxes. If you also need to send faxes,
you'll need to install the sendfax program.

ppp                             2.4.4     The PPP (Point-to-Point
Protocol) daemon.
The ppp package contains the PPP (Point-to-Point Protocol) daemon and
documentation for PPP support. The PPP protocol provides a method for
transmitting datagrams over serial point-to-point links. PPP is
usually used to dial in to an ISP (Internet Service Provider) or other
organization over a modem and phone line.

lrzsz                           0.12.20   The lrz and lsz modem
communications programs Lrzsz (consisting of lrz and lsz) is a
cosmetically modified zmodem/ymodem/xmodem package built from the
public-domain version of the rzsz package. Lrzsz was created to provide
a working GNU copylefted Zmodem solution for Linux systems.