Re: New to Fedora, [SOLVED] Network Issues.

It seems that there were two problems. Samba Server
Settings/Authentication Mode was set to User and should have been Share.
The second problem was selinux was denying access on my shares and
selinux's suggested fix didn't work because the shares were on an ntsf
volume. I disabled selinux and now everything works, include pinging.  I
have since found a way to enable selinux to work with ntfs volumnes -
buts thats for another day.

Thanks to all who replied.
Mike