Re: "One or more disks are failing" ?

Robin Laing wrote:
I am also seeing this on drives that are only a few months old. I was having system crashes so I wouldn't be surprised about the need to re-allocate blocks.

Now the question that I pose is, how do get these blocks allocated/moved that is safe for data on the drives? What is the best method to get these blocks allocated?

Can badblocks be used?

It could, but it'd be far safer if you were to use, say 'e2fsck -c'
from a live CD rather than badblocks alone because of the block size
dependencies and such, and you want to keep the files whole if possible.
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer                      ricks@xxxxxxxx -
- "I was contemplating the immortal words of Socrates when he said,  -
- 'I drank what?'"                   -- Val Kilmer in "Real Genius"  -