Re: What is openssl.cnf for?

Todd Zullinger wrote:

>> I'm trying to work out if /etc/pki/tls/openssl.cnf
>> is actually used, and if so how one should edit it.
>> The file provided with Fedora says it is an "example",
>> and says, inter alia,
>> dir = ../../CA # Where everything is kept
>> although in my case at least this directory is empty.

> The format of this file is described in the config(5) manpage,
> provided with openssl.  If you wanted to change the defaults for
> creating ssl certificates and such, you could edit this file and avoid
> the need to manually enter some of the information each time you run
> various openssl commands.

Thanks for your response.

I had actually looked at "man config" but that didn't tell me anything
about the function of this particular openssl.cnf .
(I see from "locate openssl.cnf" that I have a number of files
with this name on my system.)

As I understand it, you are saying that this particular openssl.cnf
has no direct function, but is taken as the default
when creating certicates?
So that if I change the Country Code in this file from GB to IE,
then this will be offered to me when creating certs?

I'm still not clear what effect most of the entries in the file mean.
In particular I don't understand the purpose of the CA_default section,
since none of the files mentioned there appear to exist in my F-11 system.

I read incidentally in the documentation
at <http://www.openssl.org/docs/HOWTO/certificates.txt>
"The name is openssl.cnf,
and is better described in another HOWTO <config.txt?>",
but this second HOWTO does not seem to exist.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net