Re: Many problems with F11

On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 15:33:44 +0000
Croombe F. Pensom wrote:

> Finally, to save me future bother and suchlike, is it possible to
> install several distros on the one HD and be able to select them at
> start-up?

Yep. I do it that way, always installing new distro from scratch it
a separate partition and not switching to that as the default
till I have it working well.

My primary master boot system is a stand alone grub leftover from
installing fedora a long time ago with a separate /boot partition.
I just kept the /boot partition and use it for chainloading the
other systems with entries in grub.conf like so:

title Fedora 11 x86_64
	rootnoverify (hd0,1)
	chainloader +1

When I installed fedora 11, I told it to install grub in the
boot partition, NOT in the master boot record of the physical
disk. That leaves my master boot alone and lets the chainloader
startup the grub in the fedora 11 boot partition.

I currently have both 32 and 64 bit versions of fedora 8, 10, and 11
all on one disk, all chainloading from the master grub
(though I admit the only one I'm using these days is 64 bit
fedora 11).