mysql vs selinux

Trying to run mysqld with datadir=/data/mysql (i.e. different than the
default datadir=/var/lib/mysql). When I start mysqld for the first time it
fails:

[root@alm ~]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysqld start
Initializing MySQL database:  Installing MySQL system tables...
090705 23:01:52 [Warning] Can't create test file /data/mysql/alm.lower-test
090705 23:01:52 [Warning] Can't create test file /data/mysql/alm.lower-test
/usr/libexec/mysqld: Can't change dir to '/data/mysql/' (Errcode: 13)
090705 23:01:52 [ERROR] Aborting

and selinux pops up and says

Detailed Description:
SELinux denied access requested by mysqld. / may be a mislabeled. /
default SELinux type is root_t, but its current type is default_t.
Changing this file back to the default type, may fix your problem.

<more stuff>

Poking around on google I found this suggestion:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/servers/54215-moving-mysql-datafile-
another-location-2.html

chcon -R -u system_u -r object_r -t mysqld_db_t /home/mysqldb
chcon -R -u system_u -r object_r -t mysqld_db_t /var/lib/mysql/
chcon -u system_u -r object_r -t mysqld_etc_t /etc/my.cnf

with /data/mysql instead of /home/mysqldb, of course.

This was as of FC7. Would this still be the right thing to do in F11?
I'm really being patient here with selinux, trying to give it a 2nd chance
(first chance was about F3 or F4). I'm trying to avoid the barbaric
solution of disabling it alltogether yet again.

Oh, by the way, I am able to run mysqld without a hitch even with selinux
enabled provided that I use the default datadir=/var/lib/mysql. That's not
acceptable though, as my /var is too small for the colossal amount of data
I have.

I tried to keep this post relatively short, so I didn't include all
selinux info. If more is necessary, I'll post it. Please help!