Re: Arranging data on the HDD

Javier Perez wrote:
> Hi
> I am changing  FC11 from a two-HDD setup to a larger one-HDD setup. The
> first setup is using LVM spanning both disks.
> What is the best way to move everything to one HDD?

If you want to move the logical volumes from the disk couple
to the large disk, you could add the large disk to your
current LVM and then use pvmove to force the relocation of all
your stuff to the large disk. After that, you can use vgreduce
to remove the two disks from the volume group (from three disks
to one).

> Also, I want to have two partitions, one for the data and one for the
> programs. I know it is easy to put /home on its own partition,
> but what about MySQL? I am using MythTV and both MySQL and MythTV use
> /var/lib to store their data.
> I'd rather not use hard links "ln- s bla bla bla". I am doing that with
> another pc and sometimes when I had trouble with LVM the
> data would be written on the wrong places.
> Another option would be to move the data directories for  MythtV and/or
> MySQL, but I'd hate to break something that other programs
> are depending on.

One thing you can do is to use the bind option when mounting.
You can have something in a place you like and then have it appear
somewhere else too (in a place that the rpms like).
For example, my system has this in /etc/fstab:
  /dev/sda9               /mnt/data               reiserfs defaults        1 3
  /mnt/data/wwwoffle      /var/cache/wwwoffle     auto    bind             0 0

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it