Re: Dealing with Fedora's mailing list - especially for Tim.

On Sun, 2009-07-05 at 14:23 +0930, Tim wrote:
> The list owner could.  But nobody else could.  There are some
> advantages
> in being able to send private mail to anyone on the list, and there
> are
> disadvantages, as well.
>
> Seeing as I knew no-one on this list before I joined, and I see no
> reason why anyone on here *needs* to contact me privately, I elected
> make it difficult for anyone to email me unsolicited.  Somewhere
> around
> a decade of previous experience with mailing lists had showed that
> there
> are annoying problems when you give away an email address in public.

Even though you don't know them I can think of many reasons why one
might want to contact you off list. One reason to discuss something
which is not really appropriate for the list. Your anonymous listing
annoys me greatly but I have been never able to discuss why because I
don't want the discussion on the list,.

I have been various list for several decades and never once has someone
sent me an off list note that was inappropriate or problematic.

What counter experience have you had?