Re: "One or more disks are failing" ?

Bill Davidsen spake thusly:
> Scott Beamer wrote:
[......]

> To avoid munging by mailer, this would have been a nice attach. Just a
> thought.

Attachments are "no-nos" on lists such as this. What I should have done
is use a Pastebin.  I'll remember that in the future.

Sorry for the mess.

[......]

> That's reasonable, if it isn't growing. But any bad spots are
> reallocated by testing before you get the drive, so the original count
> has been zero on my Seagate and WD drives. Don't have anything else
> spinning to check over the long holiday.

So it's not at all unusual for a drive to arrive this way out of the box
(sorta like a new LCD with dead pixels)?

[.....]

> I confess I would not use that drive for anything critical, too much ECC
> for my taste. Google wrote a paper on matching SMART to failures, and
> concluded that it wasn't helpful in general. Errors somewhat predicted
> bad performance, but many drive fail hard without warning.

Well I'd be plenty pissed off if it did die. I could live without must
of the data but I'd rather not.  Fortunately the pricey data was just
backed up a few days ago to a DVD+R (Amazon.com mp3 collection).

> In looking at my own numbers I just scheduled a drive for redeploy, I
> have a favorable money to time ratio at the moment. ;-)

Pardon my ignorance, but I don't quite get what you are saying here.

Hopefully I can accomplish a backup and drive replacements before I lose
this one.  The hardware needed was just ordered today and is supposed to
be here next week.

I used to have a couple of external drives, but naturally they failed.

I had no hard drive troubles for 10 years. The last 4 have more than
made up for that.

I've been getting these warnings for weeks, so hopefully it will hang on
a big longer.

Thanks.
--
            Scott