Re: about displays/screens

Antonio M wrote:
2009/7/4 Kevin J. Cummings <cummings@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Antonio M wrote:
I am confused...
Yesterday I got a new LCD display as replacement of a Philps 107 E CRT
display...
When I restarted tha machine, I got the old resolution, so I tried to
change it witg system-config-display, I entered a generic LCD
(1360x768) display as my Acer was not on the list, I logged out and I
logged in but in system-config-display I still get my olp Philips with
a maximum resolution of 1280x1024!!!.
This is my xorg.conf file

# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
       Identifier     "single head configuration"
       Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# keyboard added by rhpxl
       Identifier  "Keyboard0"
       Driver      "kbd"
       Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
       Option      "XkbLayout" "it"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
       Identifier   "Monitor0"
       ModelName    "Philips 107E"
       HorizSync    30.0 - 70.0
       VertRefresh  50.0 - 160.0
       Option      "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
       Identifier  "Videocard0"
       Driver      "nouveau"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
       Identifier "Screen0"
       Device     "Videocard0"
       Monitor    "Monitor0"
       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Right here, you are still telling X to use Monitor0, which is your old
monitor.  I'm not sure what X is doing, you need to look at your
/var/log/Xorg.0.log file to know for sure.

       DefaultDepth     24
       SubSection "Display"
               Viewport   0 0
               Depth     24
       EndSubSection
       SubSection "Display"
               Viewport   0 0
               Depth     16
               Modes    "800x600"
       EndSubSection
EndSection

any idea???
System is an F11 fully upgraded that was rawhide, F10 and so on...

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx

tnx Kevin.

I attach /var/log/Xorg.0.log

I see no attachment here.....

No idea what is going on: I understand that monitor is running as
1600x900..is it true??? and system-config-display seems to be overseed
by a tools that is gnome-display-properties....
Maybe that I am missing philosophy of X server :-)

I had a devil of a time getting X right on a test machine (K6-2 500 with an old Radeon 7000 card and a 17" no-name monitor). Once I got it running, it's needed no more care from me. But it drive me nuts since the only mode(s) that worked reliably for me was 800x600 (or 640 x 480). Now its happily buzzing along (when I boot it) at 1280x1024.

I had an easier time exchanging a Spectre 17" tube for an Acer 22" flat panel on F8 (GeForce 6200), and the 19" Dell monitor worked right away on the F11 test system I built (nVidia Riva TNT).

They changed the default behavior of Xorg when the monitor responds correctly to queries about its capabilities, making Xorg.conf less useful, and more difficult to use to override things. I think that was for F10....

Anyways its bedtime for me now....