Re: OT: A note to the person in the next cubicle

2009/7/3 William Case <billlinux@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> I am often reticent to use bugzilla for something that is minor and has
> more to do with look and feel or smooth operation or a manuals
> usefulness than being broken.  I don't want to be a PIA by constantly
> nitpicking, but on the other hand I would think that developers would
> like help in getting it exactly right.  Any thoughts?

Any bug report is a good bug report in my opinion. I appreciate that
too many bug reports swamps bugzilla, but there are guys who do a very
good job of triaging and the worst that can happen is that you are
told it's not a bug ;o)

> Are people doing something (using
> special search criteria) to search the bug database at the same time as
> a general google search or are they doing a separate search in RedHat
> bugzilla or do they just recognize the problem and give the link to the
> bug covering it?

In my case it's recognising the bug and then searching bugzilla for a reference.

Dag Wieers has a great page on this that can add the correct database
to your Firefox search:
http://dag.wieers.com/blog/searching-for-rhel-and-centos-information#

> I often recognize problems brought up on the Fedora users mailing list,
> and have the sure-fire solution while others respond with solutions that
> are terribly wrong.  However, I am often reticent to help because too
> often I have seen that my 'sure-fire solutions' are wrong or
> unprofessional and too many of the 'terribly wrong' answers have, of
> course, been right.

I found the best way to learn was to accept that sometimes (more often
at first) you will be wrong. Eventually your answers merge with the
accepted style of the list.

> I would like to give back.  So ... what kind of mind query or problem
> analysis do effective responders use before giving info to other users?

Think about the level and experience of your target and then think
about how best you could present that information in a way they can
understand. I often try and think about the simplest answer, not the
most correct one.

--
Sam