Re: Kernel 2.6.30

Antonio Olivares wrote:
If kernel.org releases 2.6.30.1, Are there any
delta *.tar.gz's that
one can download instead of downloading
the full kernel source again to update to
2.6.30.1? I have been
yearning to ask this question, but never had the
courage or the determination to do so. I generally
follow Fedora
kernels, but sometimes I get eager to run
the latest and greatest. I run rawhide too, but
they are at
2.6.30-6.fc12. Someone told me that there were
patches
that one could download and recompile to get the
latest version, but
they don't tell me how and there does not seem to
exist documentation as to how to do it. All of
this in case Fedora
stays a little bit behind, they are doing the
right
thing though testing and making sure that the
kernels work :), and
that the changes upstream do not affect the
endusers in a bad way.
Regards,

Antonio
How to patch the Linux kernel

Download the latest patch file for the kernel
you're running - You'll
see it on the kernel.org website.

Put the patch file in the directory with the
original, unpatched
kernel source. Run "make mrproper". Run bunzip to
uncompress the patch
file. Run patch -P1 < "patch-file-name"

Now your kernel is patched to the latest version.
Do your kernel build.

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/patch-2.6.30.1.bz2

Patch is out for 2.6.30.1, how exactly do I do it.  I run
patch -P1 < patch-2.6.30.1.bz2 in /linux-2.6.30 directory where the 2.6.30 source was?
Do I extract the patch? This is where I need more guidance as I have not done it. Usually I just get the entire thing 2.6.30.1.tar.bz2 but now I don't have access to high speed connection and I just want to see if I can do it.

You want to uncompress the patch, either in place or via a pipe:
  bzcat ../patch-2.6.30.1.bz2 | patch -p1

I highly recommend adding "--dry-run" to the patch command the first time, and watching for errors. Note that I normally put the patches in the parent directory (..) so adjust to fit your needs.

Also note you are building a kernel.org kernel, not a Fedora kernel, there are some times when the Fedora kernel has patches not in mainline. I generally try my kernels in a VM before I go with them "for real."

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>