Re: Comments from a new user: what is Distrowatch complaining about?

>> gilpel wrote:

> http://china.giga-byte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-ma770t-ud3p_c.pdf

Oops, small error on URL. You'll probably want to read in english rather
than chinese:

http://china.giga-byte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-ma770t-ud3p_e.pdf

> It seems there is an "ACPI Suspend Type". Honestly, unless you give me a
> clue, I'd have to find it by trial and error.

After I wrote this, I decided to check the document. I had so little
documentation for my old AMI BIOS that I first thought it was useless.

Gigabyte/Award offer 100 pages of data here! Here's what it says about
suspend:

ACPI Suspend Type

Specifies the ACPI sleep state when the system enters suspend.

S1(POS) Enables the system to enter the ACPI S1 (Power on Suspend) sleep
state. In S1 sleep state, the system appears suspended and stays in a low
power mode. The system can be resumed at any time.

S3(STR)  Enables the system to enter the ACPI S3 (Suspend to RAM) sleep
state (default). In S3 sleep state, the system appears to be off and
consumes less power than in the S1 state. When signaled by a wake-up
device or event, the system resumes to its working state exactly where it
was left
off."