Re: Re: Use foe Other login.

Tom Horsley wrote:
On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 21:06:17 -0500
Aaron Konstam wrote:

No matter how I try I can't  see any productive use for the Other login
on the gdm login screen.

Can someone explain?

You can click "Other" to get an actual user name field to type in so
you can type something like "root" and then get told you are an
idiot for logging it as root :-).

More useful, perhaps, you can type an NIS login name which doesn't
show up in the list of names. In fact, if you have no local logins,
but only NIS authentication, all you see on the gdm login
screen is: "Other..." which makes no sense at all :-).

When you set up a linux system, you can have a selectable list of users that may login. Clicking on the name and providing the password is the most familiar way of user login. But what if there are some users that want to remain confidential. Perhaps it is a database administrator, or a network manager. He may not want his logon id to show.

That is where you exclude the display of those users and they are obliged to use the "other" option.