Re: [OT] See USB pen drive with linux FS on Windows

On Mon, 2009-06-29 at 17:39 -0700, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> Still thanks for sharing this.  The reason I write back is that I have
> a friend that tells me that if a utility can't do it all, then it is
> no GOOD.

As a first, and quick, response, the word "idiot" springs to mind.  It's
an unrealistic expectation, computerland is full of things that cannot
do everything, and always will be.

And if one is even the slightest bit concerned about computing ability,
competency, reliability, etc., using Windows goes right out the window.

> What features are *not* supported?
>
> Access rights are not maintained. All users can access all the
> directories and files of an Ext2 volume. If a new file or directory is
> created, it inherits all the permissions, the GID and the UID from the
> directory where it has been created.

Kind of daft to expect a foreign file system from a foreign operating
system to behave like a native one.  They have very different premises
behind them.

To support the right user ownership would require more than file system
support, that'd need OS support on the host, and user configuration to
properly map local user to remote user.  This is well beyond a *simple*
utility program.

> The driver does not allow accessing special files at Ext2 volumes, the
> access will be always denied. (Special files are sockets, soft links,
> block devices, character devices and pipes.)

What would be the point of Windows trying to make use of Linux devices
from a filing system?  Or sockets to programs?

> Alternate 8.3-DOS names are not supported (just because there is no
> place to store them in an Ext2 file system). This can prevent legacy
> DOS applications, executed by the NTVDM of Windows, from accessing
> some files or directories.

I wouldn't expect any Linux file system to EVER support Windows in that
fashion, or any other non-Windows filesystem.  There's no sane reason
for it do so.  This is a STUPID expectation.

> Currently the driver does not implement defragging support. So
> defragmentation applications will neither show fragmentation
> information nor defragment any Ext2 volume.

Ah, Windows and *IT'S* massive fragmentation problems, that other
operating and file systems rarely have to care about.  Do some research
into what Linux users and programmers have said about the lack of need
to defragment EXT file systems.

> This software does not achieve booting a Windows operating system from
> an Ext2 volume.

Why on Earth would you want to do that?  And why the hell would you
expect a utility to support it.  That's a Windows deficiency that it
can't boot from another file system.

I don't think I've seen so many *STUPID* things in quite a long time.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.