Re: Fresh install Fedora 10 X86_64 problems

Richard Shaw wrote:
On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 3:39 PM, Jim <mickeyboa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Jeff Voskamp wrote:
Jim wrote:
m wrote:
Jim wrote:
Freash install of Fedora 10 X86_64 / KDE4

I kept /home directories intact with users from Fedora 8 install.
I use the exact names and passwords from old Fedora 8 install.

I'm getting error message when I try to log into  All, Users  home
directories;

"Could not start Kstartupconfig4,  Check your install:"

I can log into 'root' without any problems.

Root does not live in /home or did you keep root's home also? I wouldn't
have thought something like you are describing would work considering that
many small things and probably large things too have probably changed from
f8 to f10. Then there is the other major thing to consider: that KDE4 is
still a work in progress as far as I know. Maybe removing the desktop
settings files from the users home directories will do the trick. Just
remember to keep good backups.

The 'root' is in /root not /home.
How do you change owners:groups,  For instance, bob:bob  to george:george
, in the whole user directory.

Is the command  chown *.* bob:bob  george:george  ??

cd /home
for x in *; do
chown -R $x:$x $x
done

That doesn't seem to work for what I'm doing.

What I'm trying to do is change all directories/files in a   /home/user,
from one owner/group to another owner/group.

When I installed FC10, fresh install and format the /  partition and left
the /home partition from the old fedora 8 install
in place.
FC10 for some reason change all the directories/files to another user on box
into a  /home/user.
I know this sounds confusing but the point,  /home/molly has the wrong
owner/group on her files.  I have got to get them back to molly:molly in
/home/molly.

You probably did not create the users in the same order as you did in
for F8 install so your UID (User IDs) and GID (Group IDs) don't match.
As long as you don't have a lot of users just fix it by hand.

As root:

cd /home/molly
chown -R molly:molly *

cd /home/<next user>
chown -R <next user>:<nextuser> *

etc...

Richard

How would i write down sequence of each USER, so this won't happen next time I upgrade this Box ??