Re: odd bind problem

Tim wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-03-27 at 14:16 -0400, Mark Haney wrote:
>> I've got a newly installed F10 box that is running BIND as a slave.
>> I've been seeing something really odd, though.  About every 6 or 7
>> days DNS recursion fails.  There are no real error messages, but
>> suddenly I can query any record we are SOA for (we host a couple dozen
>> zones for customers) but we can't query, say www.google.com from that
>> server.  We get a SERVFAIL.
>
> Are you using NetworkManager?  (A really bad idea for a server.)  And
> has an interface gone off-line and back on again?

Oh no.  I kill NM the minute I get a chance.  (I have plenty of other
posts ranting about the crappiness that is NM).  But suffice ti to say
that NM goes to /dev/null the first chance I get.

quadraturae circuli

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support