Re: FC10, Virtualization , Windows XP

James Wilkinson wrote:
Bill Davidsen wrote:
the last I checked Avi told me that Win98SE did some stuff in real mode which kvm can't catch,

I believe that depends on the vendor:

    According to the [Intel] VT-x spec, guest OSes cannot operate in
    real mode… AMD SVM, on the other hand, supports real-mode for
    guests…
        – http://lwn.net/Articles/182080/

(The article is about Xen and predates KVM, but the hardware is the same.)

Hope this helps,

A most useful article, although getting a bit dated, many of the real mode issues have been addressed in software (possibly using VM86 mode). XP runs fine under KVM, so the O.P. is free to use the hypervisor of choice.

I confess I use kvm started from command line, although I am using virt-manager in a few places where it makes sense to do so as a trade-off of complexity of install vs. complexity of operation.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>