Re: OS "hiccups"

Smith, Herb wrote:
All,

I'm running Fedora 10 and have been very happy with it.  Within the last
week, however, the OS seems to be experiencing momentary "hangups" of
some sort where all activity stops for 10 or 15 seconds.  The cursor
won't move, web pages won't scroll, etc.  This occurs not only in
Firefox, but generally regardless of what I'm doing.
Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

TIA,

Herb

You have not given an details to even suggest something. "top" is your tool to start with. "ps" is another. iostat and dstat are other tools that can help.

http://linuxpoison.blogspot.com/2008/11/linux-system-monitoring-using-dstat.html

I am having similar issues but I now know that mine are due to IO and D-states. I want to get more ram to see if that helps but I also know that running dmraid and luks is putting a load on the system. I need a faster system in the future.

There is also this article that was on this list a few weeks ago.

http://rudd-o.com/en/linux-and-free-software/tales-from-responsivenessland-why-linux-feels-slow-and-how-to-fix-that

I do see these slight freezes in Firefox, even on my faster 64bit machine at work.

--
Robin Laing