Re: copying lvm with the same name

Frank Cox wrote:
One of my computers died and, of course, there is un-backed-up data on there
that I want to recover if I can.  The hard drive seems to be in good shape so I
took it out of the dead box and installed it on this computer (my main desktop
machine.)

I have been doing a bunch of reading about logical volumes and some of what
I've found is  self-contradictory, incomplete and stuff that I just don't
really understand (yet.)  And, as you can imagine, since this is my main
desktop machine I'm not terribly anxious to just start playing around with
the lvm configuration without knowing what I'm doing.

Here are my findings so far:

[root@mutt ~]# pvscan
  PV /dev/sdb2   VG VolGroup00   lvm2 [279.25 GB / 32.00 MB free]
  PV /dev/sda2   VG VolGroup00   lvm2 [465.56 GB / 32.00 MB free]
  Total: 2 [744.81 GB] / in use: 2 [744.81 GB] / in no VG: 0 [0   ]
[root@mutt ~]# lvscan
  ACTIVE            '/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00' [277.28 GB] inherit
  ACTIVE            '/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01' [1.94 GB] inherit

It looks like the machine can see the second drive and the lvm that's on it
/dev/sdb2, but it has the same VolGroup name as /dev/sda2.

What I would like to do is twofold:  First, and most importantly, I would like
to mount it as-is so I can copy my data off of there.  Second, I would like to
re-format it and add it to the storage capacity that I already have on this
machine. Heck, if it's still a good drive I might as well put it to use.

So, how can I mount VolGroup00 that's on /dev/sdb2?  The vgchange command
followed by a simple mount command looks like what I want to do, but what's the
syntax?  As I said, I really don't want to bugger up my primary hard drive....

I have read this thread and I wish I had seen something like it two years ago. I had upgraded a system that used LVM and replaced two drives to increase the total available space. It turned out that I had forgotten to backup a directory. To late and rushing.

I wanted to install the removed drive to see if the directory was on that drive but it was part of the old group (generic name creation) and strange and wonderful problems started to crop up. I never did get the drive mounted back then.

There needs to be a firm way of changing and editing LVM characteristics in these situations.

--
Robin Laing