Re: Backing up system

On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 4:25 AM, GMS S <gmspro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
> Reading this:http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=35087
> I ran this command from terminal being root
>

> tar cvpzf backup.tgz --exclude=/proc --exclude=/lost+found --exclude=/backup.tgz --exclude=/mnt --exclude=/media --exclude=/sys /
>
> But the last two lines from terminal.
>

> /boot/initrd-2.6.27.5-117.fc10.i686.img
>
> Why is that for?
> What should I do now?
____

The editor of the link you refer to says this:
"EDIT2:
At the end of the process you might get a message along the lines
of 'tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors' or something, but in
most cases you can just ignore that."
That means that tar found some errors but it continued its operation
anyway. Look at the size of
the tar file, try to restore a file or two to test it.

One way to find out what is going on is to pipe the tar action to a log file
and check it. Add to the end of the tar command something like " | tee
tar.log", which
will create a text filed named tar.log. If you find a troublesome dir,
just exclude it and
do a test run. Read the tar man page or eSearch the errors you get to
learn more.
.
good luck.
~af