NM with a system wide connection-for Tim and others

Here is Dan Willliams discussion about using NM to produce a global
network connection. I never tried it myself.

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Dan Williams <dcbw@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: A belated question about 0.7
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 09:55:06 -0400

On Mon, 2008-10-06 at 08:35 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-09-17 at 00:44 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> > On Tue, 2008-09-16 at 09:16 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > > I thought that one of the capabilities of NM-0.7.. was to be able to
> > > bring up the network globally on the machine instead of having to loin
> > > as a user, Did that happen and I missed it.
> > >
> > > If that can be dons , how?
> >
> > It happens, it's done through system settings.  The system settings
> > service has plugins which provide system-level configuration to
> > NetworkManager.  Each distro has one to convert their (usually
> > read-only) file formats (like ifcfg or /etc/network/interfaces) to NM
> > Connections, but due to the limitations of some of these legacy formats,
> > they might not support all types of connections.
> >
> > There's the 'keyfile' plugin that supports all types of connections and
> > provides both read and writability.  On Fedora for the moment we only
> > enable the ifcfg-fedora plugin to provide your normal ifcfg files to
> > NetworkManager, but we don't enable the keyfile plugin yet since there
> > are a few issues to sort out when more than one plugin is enabled.
> >
> > Dan
> >

> I thought about your answer above and conclude in can be done in F9 but
> not yet with the keyfile plugin. There is no /etc/network/interfaces in
> F9 so I am not sure just how one does system wide connections at this
> time in F9.
> Could you clarify?

Ah :) /etc/network/interfaces is the Ubuntu/Debian equivalent of ifcfg-*
files.  The keyfile plugin doesn't use them.

The keyfile plugin reads files
in /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections, which are essentially .ini
files.  Each section (denoted by [<name>]) is a Setting, and that
setting contains key/value pairs.  It's really just a flat text file
representation of what's in GConf too.  At some point soon I'll make
sure the NetworkManager configuration spec is fully up-to-date, which is
essentially how a keyfile is made.

In the mean time, you can
edit /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf and change
'ifcfg-fedora' to 'keyfile', 'killall -TERM nm-system-settings', then in
the connection editor create your connection and make sure to check the
"System connection" box before hitting OK.  That _should_ ensure that
the connection is saved as a system-wide connection and you'll be able
to poke around the file too.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Dan