Re: How to optimally set up components for SOHO mail system.

On Fri, 2009-03-20 at 09:18 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > On Fri, 2009-03-20 at 14:19 +1100, Simon Slater wrote:
> >
> >> Another question is:  The ISP sends (or I collect) mail via POP3.  Can
> >> this then feed into the local IMAP server?  Or to phrase differently, is
> >> the mail, just mail to the various programs that handle it, irrespective
> >> of the transport protocol and so can pass through one protocol to
> >> another and from one program to another?
> > ----
> > fetchmail retrieves mail from ISP using POP3 or other supported
> > protocols and then hands it off to your SMTP server (Sendmail or Postfix
> > or ???)
> >
> It can also do a rewrite of the email address as part of the
> process, so your local email address does not have to match the ISPs
> email address. It can also handle cases where your ISP puts all the
> mail for the users on your local domain into one mailbox.
>
> Mikkel

I'm still coming to terms with the terminology, is one mailbox
equivalent to one e-mail account with ISP or one directory where all
e-mail from all sources is put?

The point on rewriting headers brings up another question on address
names and mailer apps currently running. Having a LAN with private ip
range, the local boxes can have FQDNs like dell.local or acer.local and
the world at large doesn't care.  At the moment sendmail and Evo are
running (just whatever the install defaults to, not on my preference or
choice), so if I use mutt to read root's maillogs, is that using
sendmail at all or is mutt just looking into the directory containing
the mail?  Does Evo use sendmail, or does it fetch from the ISP
directly?  Can Evo read the local mail (simon@xxxxxxxxxx)?

--
Regards,
Simon Slater