Re: Virtual Box

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 03:21:24PM -0300, Martín Marqués wrote:
> I'm trying to do some virtualization testing and I wanted to see
> Virtual Box that everybody is talking alot about. The thing is that I
> can't find the virtualbox packages in the fedora repository. Does it
> have some strange name?

VirtualBox is free as in free beer, but it's not entirely free as in
free speech.  Its license prohibits some use, meaning it can't be free
software.  (One of the key freedoms of free software is the freedom to
use it for any purpose.)  That's why we don't carry it in Fedora.

I'm surprised that more people don't just install the "Virtualization"
group using yum, and use the Virtual Machine Manager (virt-manager) to
create virtual machines.  I do this all the time on my Fedora 10 box
and it works like a charm.

  su -c 'yum groupinstall Virtualization ; service libvirtd start'

Then run Applications > System Tools > Virtual Machine Manager.

To install from a CD or DVD ISO image that you have on your hard disk,
make sure you set its SELinux context properly:

  su -c 'chcon -t virt_image_t /path/to/some-os-image.iso'