Re: How to optimally set up components for SOHO mail system.

On Fri, 2009-03-20 at 12:12 +1100, Simon Slater wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-03-19 at 20:19 -0400, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> > >       I have found much material on the individual components, but
> > not on
> > > mail processing in general and how they fit together, complement,
> > > compete or overlap each other.  Pointers to such process flow would
> > be
> > > appreciated, as well as general opinions on piecing together such a
> > > project.
> >
> > I have been running Scalix on Centos for a few years now.  I am
> > getting
> > ready to bail out of that and am testing out SME
> > (http://wiki.contribs.org/Main_Page).  This is very stable and very
> > functional for the SOHO, even SMB arena.  I suspect there are several
> > ways to have those 10 mail accounts picked up by the SME mail system
> > and
> > then presented to local users either via IMAP or POP3.
> >
> 	SME looks interesting and looks like it would work well for another
> project in the pipeline that would use older hardware.  For now I've put
> the effort into Fedora and want to continue in that vein.  However where
> my knowledge has gaps would still fail me in SME methinks.
----
SME I believe is built from CentOS - again, it's all from packages that
originated from Red Hat / Fedora so the setup is extremely similar.

SME tries to provide a turnkey setup and to gain ease of setup, you
sacrifice features. It's a trade off only you can decide whether it's
worth it or not. Myself, I would never do that.

Craig