Re: fedora LTS , why not?

Adel ESSAFI wrote:
Hi list

I was using fedora and redhat since 2000. To day, I can see that our favorite distro is really very strong. However, I have done some experience (short) with Ubuntu and I have liked to LTS concept (Long Term support).

My idea is to build a distribution that is based on Fedora at 100% with
1. LTS
2. with a very reduce number of packages
3. with proprietary codecs and essentiel software (mp3, flash ) included in.

I know that the variety of the open source projects are making it's power. However, I aim to build a distribution with only one software from each catégory. That is, I have to choose between:
*  KDE and GNOME for the destop
* rhythembox , kaffeine, ....... as media player
* abiword or openoffice as office writer
Technically, I will maintain a repository with a reduced number of packages.

If I get positive feed back from this list, I can start working on this project in july

This distribution will be very useful for starter!!

Best regards
Adel

--
http://ilovefedora.blogspot.com/

--

PhD candidate in Computer Science
Address BP 108, Bureau de poste Tunis republique

Centos may be a better choice for you if you want to stick with a "version" and continue to receive security and performance updates. While features found in Centos will almost certainly lag those found in Fedora by about one release they are stable and completely ;=) debugged by the time they hit the Centos repositories.

Centos is still free for the asking and it is still RedHat, in fact it is RedHat Enterprise Linux but you cannot call for support, you have to resort to forums just like you do with Fedora but the repositories are updated frequently and security and performance upgrades go on for several years.

I can't speak to codecs and mp3 capabilities but perhaps you should give it a try and see if it is a fit for your needs.

--

John Cornelius
(760)560-3449 (Home)

"I may not be totally perfect, but parts of me are excellent."
Ashleigh Brilliant, 1979