tons of LXSessions

I routinely connect to my system from remote via VNC. Apparently when I
shut down VNC, it's not shutting off the lxsession that was running in that
virtual desktop. Any suggestions on how to fix that? I'm usually shutting
down the VNC server when I get done, and normally, in KDE or Gnome, that
shuts down the window manager as well.

I'm not exactly a newbie to linux, but I am new to LXDE. My system isn't
exactly under powered, but when I have two dozen lxsessions running in the
background because they didn't shut down with VNC, it bogs down the system.