Re: NM fails to connect when booting ?? -[SOLVED]

Mark Haney wrote:
Timothy Murphy wrote:

I wish some guru who understands NM would bring out a variant
that just connects on bootup.
I'm pretty sure the standard version would rapidly fall into disuse.

But, they have that feature already. It's the way network interfaces
have started for a decade.  Why bother with NM at all when starting the
interface on boot is what 99% of people need anyway?

As for the arguments about wireless connectivity, how many people
actually move between wireless connections?  If you do it might be only
between 2, home and work.

I had actually hoped that the "profiles" stuff might let me have multiple configurations which work at multiple locations. I have three locations needing credentials, and I'd like to have a "Starbucks" configuration which found whatever was available. Doesn't seem to work that way. :-( Thankfully I know how to write scripts and use iwconfig...

NM sucks, everyone knows it, so let's can it and move to something that
doesn't.

The reason people think it sucks is that the documentation is missing, inadequate, or wrong. And when I mentioned this someone told me that writing documentation is not a good use of developer time, and that's hogwash. I've done FOSS and commercial development for over thirty years, and on commercial software there was always a description before the code was written, and someone writing documentation which was checked by QA, or for something I was giving away, I wrote my own because I wanted people to love and use my software. We used to call the NM approach "if it was hard to code it should be hard to use."

I would would be ashamed if something I wrote was a constant topic on this list, had it's own list on how to avoid it, even had people selling bloody tee shirts which show "NetworkManager" in a circle with a slash through it, and generated opinions like the "everyone knows it" above. Actually I exaggerate, the site was selling iron-on sheets for $4, you had to provide your own shirt, but there must have been some market. I do believe that a scan of this list indicates it's not just a few people frustrated by the lack of documentation.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>