Re: OT: Internet access for old RH machine

Stewart Williams wrote:
I know, I know, but ...

I have an old laptop (PII-400MHz) that has RedHat 7.3 installed on it
and it works like a dream and it's all setup how I want it.

Currently I use it stand-alone and has no LAN or Internet access configured.

However occasionally I would really like to access certain web sites on
it - so I need to use a web browser, text or GUI.

I know it's no longer updated, supported and probably full of security
holes, however ...

I was wondering if there was a way I could connect it to my router, but
segregated some how, such as an encrypted VPN tunnel. So that if it was
exploited it couldn't compromise the security of my main LAN.

The strict answer is NO. That said I have two other suggestions, install the latest and most secure version of a browser (I use the Seamonket 2.0beta) which you will have to install because there's no recent rpm in the usual places, or far better just ssh to a machine which is on (assuming you have such) with the -X option, and start the browser on a hardened machine.

Your firewall should protect you pretty well and block virtually everything in any case.

I have plenty of spare hardware lying around, such as 802.11b cards,
routers, etc.

I'm no expert on (sub?)networks, DMZ's, etc. and was wondering if anyone
has any thoughts on if this is pheasable.

Thanks.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>